A needle in the colon, the risk of ingested foreign objects: A case report

Darwin S. Espin, Jorge F. Tufiño, Jaime M. Cevallos, Fernando Zumárraga, Vanessa E. Orozco, Estefany J. Proaño, Gabriel A. Molina

Producción científica: Contribución a una revistaArtículorevisión exhaustiva

3 Citas (Scopus)


Ingestion of foreign bodies is often found in clinical practice; however, intestinal perforation due to ingestion of foreign bodies is rare. Sharp and metallic objects are usually the ones that cause most complications. Preoperative diagnosis is difficult since the clinical presentation is vague and nonspecific presentation can simulate many abdominal pathologies. Patients are rarely aware of foreign body ingestion, and a high index of suspicion is required to make a timely diagnosis. In addition, treatment demands prompt surgery to avoid dangerous complications. We present the case of a 19-year-old tailor; he inadvertently swallowed a needle and presented to the emergency department with a colonic perforation. Surgery was required, and he recovered completely.

Idioma originalInglés
Número de artículorjab455
PublicaciónJournal of Surgical Case Reports
EstadoPublicada - 1 oct. 2021


Profundice en los temas de investigación de 'A needle in the colon, the risk of ingested foreign objects: A case report'. En conjunto forman una huella única.

Citar esto