An Andean fox was transferred to the Wildlife Hospital of the Universidad San Francisco de Quito for evaluation of injuries caused by a run over. Clinical signs of hypovolemic shock were detected. Radiographies showed multiple pelvic fractures and free fluid in retroperitoneal cavity. The presumptive diagnosis was hemorrhagic shock caused by blood loss secondary to a pelvis fracture. An emergency xenotransfusion using blood from a domestic dog was performed without acute transfusion reactions observed. This is the first report of successful xenotransfusion between a domestic dog and an Andean fox presenting a procedure that could be applied in emergency situations.
|Número de artículo
|Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research and Animal Science
|Publicada - 2020